Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The dog and the possum


 

What do you do when your dog catches a possum?

Ignoring it doesn't cut the mustard when she's wandering around with it in her mouth and looks so pleased with herself I think she's going to bring it inside.

In New Zealand (where I'm from for those who don't know), possums are pests. Farmers shoot them. In Australia (where I live), they are a protected species. You are not allowed to kill them.

But dogs are dogs and their instinct is so strong they can't help themselves. The poor little possum had been taunting Ruby for days, weeks even, scuttling along the fence and fossicking in the trees. Every day Ruby would run outside to try and find it so I suppose it was inevitable something bad was going to happen. I've no idea how it got down to Ruby's level (an accident I imagine - maybe it fell?) but Ruby being as quick and strong as she is took the opportunity to pounce.

I was not impressed. Especially not at 7 o'clock in the morning on the front lawn in my pyjamas trying to get Ruby to drop it. In fact, I felt sick.

I hoped it might survive.
I was wrong.

Rest in peace furry friend.

2 comments:

  1. Bad dog Ruby, very bad dog!
    Oh dear, poor little possum. I'd be mortified if I had to deal with this. You poor thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had to deal with this many years ago! Not nice but instinctive. Mimi xx

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! I'd love to hear from you ..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails