Friday, November 27, 2009

Moochinside Design Store

Every so often I’d like to feature interviews with designers, decorators, architects and others whom I meet on my travels – whether for work or in researching our house build.
Today I’d like to introduce you to Margie (Mooch) McFayden and her Hardy’s Bay store Moochinside which would have to be my favourite shop outside of Sydney. It is a combination of design, gift store and gallery and I always find something to buy in there, whether for myself or for gifts – from jewellery to clothes, homewares to art or just gorgeous objects to indulge in.

When did you open?
We [Margie and her husband Pete] opened Moochinside on the August 1, 2006. We moved up to Killcare from Drummoyne in 1999, already had a block of land there and were ready to build.

What are your backgrounds?

Pete is an architect and has had his own practice for 25 years. I re-trained as an architectural technician after our children were born. We still have our office in Balmain and Pete also has a studio at home so works between the two.

What designers and artists are you featuring at the moment?

I try to feature local artists as much as I can. At present I have Debbie MacKinnon from Sydney who has a weekender in Killcare and whose paintings hover between landscape and abstraction and Sally McDonald who is from Newcastle.

Debbie McKinnon, Bouddi (Re)Generation, www.salmongalleries.com.au

Tell me about them and their work?
Debbie is an established artist and her profile is on the website at the moment. Sally is up and coming and her work is lovely. She uses a lot of multi-media in her works and then finishes all works with layers of resin.

Have you any exhibitions planned in the near future?
The next artist to come is Maree Coleman who we have featured before and very successfully.




What is your favourite piece in store at the moment?
At the moment my favourite pieces are the Pappelina rugs from Sweden. They are fabulous, eye-catching, durable and functional floor mats made from plastic and linen that are great for any room both indoors or out.


Their online store and Ecomooch online store will be open soon so keep an eye out.
The Ecomooch store features a range of sustainable, eco-friendly building products and solutions including Ecosmart Fireplaces, Australian Recycled Timber, Quantam Solar Heat Pumps, BP Solar Photo Voltaic Cells, Stormwater Harvesting and Reuse Systems and Hunter Pacific Fans.

Or even better, take a trip up to Hardy’s Bay and check it out in person at 1/1 Killcare Rd (in the heart of the shops by the bay). Or telephone them on 02) 4360 2257.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! I'd love to hear from you ..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails